Work's been crazy busy lately. My hours shot way up.
Aside from work, there's been class, too - never taken a spring college course before, and despite it being a PE class, MAN. The hyper condensed spring classes move fast! Also, my fiance has started jogging with me, which is nice - I love jogging and running, but it can be so droll sometimes. It's always lovely to have someone with you! :]
I'm going to start whipping up a "video game" blog, too. I think I'll review classic games prior to the newest gen systems - PS2 & X, Gamecube, N64 (my favorite :D), etc. I have a NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube, PSX, PS2...you name it, and I have it...except PS3 and Xbox.
I just ordered the first two games to review - Jak II and Jak III. I loved them when I was younger. Golly, they were spectacular games. I also will be reviewing the first three installments of Ratchet and Clank, which were equally wonderful. Not to mention my enormous N64 cartridge collection (35+ games, and growing).
But, as of now, I'm writing a bit.
My fiancee and I finished Game of Thrones season II, and now we're antsy to have season III on dvd. Gah! It's months from our grasp, too! >:( I started the first novel of the series, too, and I can really tell that they kept GRRM on close hand while shooting the show...it follows the books almost to a T, really. The only qualms I have are these: why, HBO, why do you feel it necessary to add so much superfluous swearing and nudity? Does it add more flavour? Nay! Does it give the characters more texture? Nope! It does nothing! I understand it if you're following the books, but the books (thusfar, anyways) don't really have much cursing or mentions of nudity. At all. Swears don't add to the anger of people talking. It doesn't give any extra allusion to their frustrations. It is just an extra word or two.
Now, I love "A Game of Thrones," the book, thusfar. Really, it's hard to put down, most times, and the small chapters make it extra "oh, I'll read one more..." haha. But when I DO end up in those awkward moments of swears and sex, it feels...well...awkward! I love the fantasy genre, really I do, but these additions just feel...unnecessary, for lack of a better word. I completely understand Mr. Martin's wanting to make the books feel less like fantasy and more like real history, and of course sex happened and people swore, but Tolkien never once utilized the F word. He never made paragraphs about bouncing bosoms, fingering, or anything like that. He just wrote the genre. I have the utmost respect for published authors, and all the more for GRRM, as I bought and am reading his works, and maybe I'm just an old fashioned bugger, but it all feels out of place to me. But, then, his books are best sellers and I'm just one person! :P Regardless...it IS a phenomenal read, and I'm more upset with the show and HBO adding hundreds of F bombs, C words, etc.
But, I better get back to MY writing now! :P
Kippis!
-Vulpes
No comments:
Post a Comment